Fells Point is about to fall victim to pirates. The sixth-annual Privateer Day is set for April 9-10, 2010. Each year this festival with events for pirates of all ages gets bigger and bigger, and the Privateer Day Festival in Fells Point 2010 promises to be a blast.
Many participants delight in dressing up like pirates. The weekend's events center around Broadway Square, and include:
- Swashbuckler's Soiree
- Food and craft vendors
- Live music
- Living history camp
- Children's activities including rope making, ship building, and a treasure hunt
- Cruises and storytelling aboard the Fearless
- Saturday night pub crawl
Friday, April 9
Event: 2nd annual Swashbuckler's Soiree
Where: Frederick Douglas Isaac Myers Museum
When: 8 p.m. to midnight
What: Taste of Fells Point, Live music by Brigands, Pirate of the Year Award.
Tickets: $40 in advance, $45 at the door. Available online.
Saturday, April 10
- Event begins, 11 a.m.
- Captain Thomas Flint, 11:15
- Story time with Urban Pirates, noon
- The Brigands, 12:30
- Town Crier proclamation, 1 p.m.
- Captain Thomas Flint, 1:30
- Children's Costume Contest, 3
- The Brigands, 3:30
- Adult Costume Contest, 4
- Captain Thomas Flint, 4:30
- Battle at Sea, 5
- The Brigands, 5:30
Ann Street Pier
- Treasure Hunt
- Storytime on Fearless
- Crusies on Fearless. Call 410-327-8378 for more information.
- Pride of Baltimore II cruise
- Mutiny with Valhalla Pirates
- Pistol Duel Valhalla Pirates
- Battle at sea, 5 p.m.
Bond Street Wharf, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Period skills
- Kids games
- Marlinspike seamanship
- Weapons and tactics
- Ships surgeon
- Cannon demos
Pyrate Invasion Pub Crawl
When: 6 p.m. to midnight
Cost: $3 in advance, $5 day of
Details: Participants receive souvenir pin, map of pubs taking part, and are entered into raffle. Bars will each be running a special for pub crawlers.
Parking can be a challenge in Fells Point, and it certainly won't be easy to snag a street spot during the festival. These garages might be your best bet:
- PMS Garage at 805 S. Caroline St., just south of Lancaster. Charging just $3 for the day on the 10th
- PMI Garage at 1530 Thames St., Caroline & Thames
- Two parking lots on the east side of Fells Point on the 800 block S. Wolfe St.